As you undoubtedly already know, drunk driving remains a serious problem in America. In fact, these irresponsible drivers cause an accident roughly once every 50 minutes.
Other drunk driving statistics include the following:
- You stand a one in three chance of being involved in a drunk driving accident sometime during your life.
- Over 1 million people each year are arrested for allegedly driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Approximately 28% of all motor vehicle deaths are attributed to impaired driving.
- Approximately one quarter of accidents involving a teen driver are attributed to underage drinking.
- Upwards of 11,000 people die each year as a result of a drunk driving accident.
- Upwards of 18,000 people admit to having driven while under the influence of alcohol at least once in their lives.
With statistics like these, you need to know what to do if a drunk driver hits you.
Immediate Post-crash Procedure
As with all accidents, it’s important that you do the following after a drunk driving crash:
- Call 911 and request police assistance.
- Also request emergency medical assistance, even if you don’t think you or anyone else is injured.
- If possible, exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, driver’s license information and insurance company information with all other drivers.
- Talk with any crash witnesses and obtain their names and contact information.
- Take photos of your vehicle and all other vehicles involved in the crash, paying particular attention to makes, models, colors, license plates and signs of both prior and new damage.
- Call your auto insurance company and report the accident.
- When police officers arrive, answer their questions truthfully and succinctly.
- Ask them when and how you can obtain a copy of their accident report.
- Do not speculate on what caused the accident, but do tell the officers if you suspect that one of the drivers is drunk based on any personal observations you’ve made regarding his or her breath, speech, movement, etc.
- Allow the first responders to examine you for possible injuries.
- If they recommend that you go to the hospital for additional medical assessment, do it.
Advantages of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Hiring an experienced local car accident lawyer such as David & Philpot, P.L. as soon as possible after your accident can benefit you in many ways. Not only can he or she review the police report and any available surveillance tape footage to determine exactly what happened, he or she can also help you determine who caused the accident.
If indeed it was a drunk driver, your car accident lawyer can then file a personal injury lawsuit against him or her and anyone else whose negligence contributed to the accident.