Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Tampa, Fl
According to national statistics, about 6,000 people are killed in pedestrian accidents each year. Many thousands more are severely injured. If you live in Florida and suffered injuries when a driver struck you with their vehicle, you need a skilled pedestrian accident lawyer Tampa, FL clients recommend from Jeff Murphy Law advocating for you.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
While there are many factors that can result in a pedestrian getting hit, the following are the most common:
- Distracted driving: A driver who is talking or texting on their cell phone, fiddling with the radio or GPS, talking to a passenger, eating or drinking does not have their full attention on the road and often fails to see the pedestrian who is walking in the crosswalk in front of them.
- Speeding: Far too many pedestrian accidents are caused by a driver who was speeding and was unable to stop in time to avoid striking a person crossing the street. The injuries from speeding pedestrian accidents are often severe because of the force of impact when the vehicle strikes the victim.
- Drunk or drugged driving: A driver who is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is a danger to everyone on the road, including pedestrians.
- Failure to yield or stop: There are certain situations where a pedestrian has the right of way. When a driver fails to yield at a traffic sign or rolls through a stop sign, they are not only violating traffic laws, but they are also putting the life of a pedestrian who is on the street and has the right of way at risk.
- Left turns: A pedestrian accident lawyer in Tampa, FL knows that one of the most dangerous situations for a pedestrian crossing in a crosswalk is a driver who is attempting to take a left turn. Their attention is often so focused on the traffic and waiting on an opening to turn, they do not see the pedestrian who is legally crossing.
- Weather conditions: A driver who does not adjust their vehicle speed when traveling in rain, fog, snow or ice can fail to see a pedestrian in time or be unable to slow down or stop in time on an icy or slippery road.
- Backing up: Some of the most devastating pedestrian accidents occur when a driver is backing up in their own driveways and do not see their child behind the car. Parking lots and parking lots are also high-risk places for pedestrians, especially during busy times, such as during the holidays.
Victims who have been injured in a pedestrian accident can legally recover for their medical expenses, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and more. If you would like to learn more, contact Jeff Murphy Law to meet with a Tampa, FL pedestrian accident lawyer.
When you’re looking for a pedestrian accident lawyer in Tampa, FL you might quickly realize that there are many firms to choose from, but not all are equal. Some lawyers may be a personal injury lawyer, but focus solely on car accidents or other specific incidents. Others may be a general practice lawyer who handles a bit of everything, but lacks the experience needed to fight and win your case.
Following a Pedestrian Accident
Immediately after a pedestrian accident, medical care should be your main priority. Everything else apart from that can wait. Once you are able to do so, or you can ask someone to help you out, a police report should be filed. Contact details of the negligent party and/or witnesses should also be obtained. Photographic and video evidence, as well as anything else that may be useful in your case, should be gathered. From this point, you can call a Tampa pedestrian accident lawyer in FL for assistance.
What You Should Not Do
A few things to avoid in a pedestrian accident case include:
- Do not give any statements to any insurance companies other than your own
- Be brief in what you say to your own insurance company when you report the accident
- If you’re not sure what to say, ask a lawyer
- Avoid admitting any fault; even if you are partially to blame
When Should I Contact an Attorney?
Ideally, you should contact an experienced Tampa, FL pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as you possibly can following a pedestrian accident. If you’ve ever seen a legal drama, you are aware that the strengths and weaknesses of any given case almost always turn on the specifics of the law (state, local, and/or federal, depending on your legal situation) and on the evidence that is presented by both sides. Pedestrian accidents aren’t always easy to reconstruct in regards to evidence. Unless your accident was clearly caught on a traffic camera, the experienced Florida legal team at Jeff Murphy Law may need to support your case through witness testimony, black box data from the motor vehicle that hit you, and any other sources of evidence that can be located. The sooner you connect with our Tampa, FL pedestrian accident lawyer, the sooner our legal team can begin preserving critically important evidence and protecting your rights. Evidence can become harder to track down the longer it takes to place a client’s case in motion. Please, try to call as soon as you can. Your future case (and your future self) will almost certainly thank you for this timely effort.
Should I Return Calls from an Insurance Provider?
Another reason to connect with an attorney as soon as you can in the wake of a pedestrian accident is that the insurance carrier of the motorist who hit you is likely going to call you within hours or days of your accident to take your statement and offer you a settlement. Initially, taking such a call can seem appealing. After all, you’ve just been injured and you’re probably anxious to ensure that your medical bills and lost time at work won’t affect your family too badly. However, it’s not generally in an accident victim’s best interests to speak with an insurance provider until they’ve consulted an attorney.
First, insurance companies are businesses that are interested in protecting their bottom line. It is relatively common knowledge that initial settlement offers from insurance providers tend to underpay the compensation amount to which victims are entitled. Insurance providers hope that your eagerness to settle the financial aspects of your situation and your (probably) unfamiliarity with the industry will lead you to take an offer that is less (and possibly far less) than what you’re entitled to. Our firm deals with insurers all the time and we would be happy to negotiate a truly fair settlement on your behalf. Second, in the days after your accident, you may not yet know the extent of your physical, mental, and emotional injuries. You may not yet know how your accident will affect your employment situation long-term. You shouldn’t speak with an insurer until we’ve evaluated your case and assessed your damages in the short-term and long-term. That way, you’ll be confident that you’re not settling for less than the amount you deserve.
Remember, insurance providers can use anything you say to them as an excuse to lower your settlement amount. If you do choose to speak with an insurance provider before you’ve spoken with an attorney, don’t admit blame and be aware that what you say can be used against you.
What We Can Do
At Jeff Murphy Law, we are a team of legal professionals who have vast experience in pedestrian accident cases. We understand how physically and emotionally painful these types of accidents can be, and realize that you probably have suffered from copious amounts of financial losses. If you were a pedestrian, injured by another party who was acting negligently, you may be able to pursue legal action.
Our Tampa, FL pedestrian accident lawyers understand that you want to get back on your feet and resume daily life as soon as possible, and with little to no stress. It is our goal to make this happen through due diligence, a strong case, and aggressive legal advocacy. If you are interested in finding out whether or not you have a case, and how we may be able to recover maximum compensation for you, call a member of our team right now.
Why Choose Us to Represent You
As an injured pedestrian, you have the right to file a claim on your own. If you do so, you can expect various challenges and legal obstacles that may require you to understand complex legislation and procedures. Failure to know these things could cause delays, confusion, and lost time and money.
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Florida from Jeff Murphy Law has represented numerous people who suffered from extensive injuries, varying in their severity, and we’re looking for a legal advocate who was ready to give their case every amount of attention that it deserved. When you choose us to be your legal advocate, you can feel confident in knowing that your case will be treated in the exact same way. You will also get:
- Frequent updates on your case
- Strong legal representation
- Support from all of our staff
- Medical care, if you need it
- The possibility of a medical lien
- Aggressive negotiation
- Maximum compensation
We Have Your Best Interest in Mind
When you need a dedicated lawyer to support you, look no further than our law firm to help you recover the compensation you need, and deserve. For a free case review, call to speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Tampa, FL at Jeff Murphy Law immediately.
“I have known Jeff for many years. He as helped me with several legal issues and done an amazing job for me. He is easy to talk to and always gives me honest answers. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone for their legal needs.”
Get access to our a+ team today.
Our firm is recognized for its professionalism by organizations and by other attorneys who refer their clients into our care.View the Team
Bank of America Plaza, 101 E
Kennedy Blvd 39th Floor,
Tampa, FL 33602
Or Call Us to talk to any of our lawyers
Our team is on standby(813) 553-5517
free case evaluation
Start the Process today
Find us at
Bank of America Plaza, 101 E
Kennedy Blvd 39th Floor,
Tampa, FL 33602
Mon - Fri: 24/7 Call Answering Sat & Sun: By appt
Also Serving Clearwater, FL, Tampa Bay, FL and St. Petersburg, FL