Slip and Fall Lawyer Tampa, Florida
If you have ever fallen or tripped on a curb or sidewalk and were injured, we encourage you to talk with a slip and fall lawyer in Tampa, FL, from Jeff Murphy Law. You may be entitled to compensation from the city or property owners where the injury occurred. This type of personal injury law is called a slip and fall.
Nearly 80% of pedestrian injuries are the result of a fall. A 2012 National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors revealed 24 percent of pedestrian injuries were due to tripping on uneven or cracked sidewalks, while 17 percent tripped or fell for other reasons.
Our Tampa, Fl slip and fall lawyer shares common sidewalk injury causes include:
- Cracks or uneven pavement can be hazardous. The city or property owner has a duty of care to ensure that users of the property or street or sidewalk is safe for general use, such as walking. Over time, tree roots, earthquakes, or other elements can result in dangerous conditions.
- Potholes can occur on the pavement or even sometimes on the sidewalk. They are usually caused by pooled water or debris that was too heavy for the asphalt to support.
- Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyers want you to know that debris on sidewalks, in gutters, stairs, etc. can create a hazardous situation. Leaf litter, tree branches, overflowing trash, bicycles, and other personal property are just some of the many unsafe things that could cause a person to fall and become injured.
- Rain, Ice, Snow, or other weather conditions can present a variety of dangerous situations.
No matter how your injury occurred, you should contact a local, knowledgeable Tampa slip and fall lawyer in Florida as soon as you are able. Our experienced team has vast experience in representing clients who have experienced injuries on public property. Call Jeff Murphy Law today for a free case evaluation.
Determining Fault and Responsibility
The person or entity at-fault for the slip and fall depends on the circumstances of the incident. Sometimes there can be multiple defendants, depending if your injury occurred solely on public property or if something from a private property caused or partially caused the accident. Speak with a slip and fall lawyer in Florida for advice based on the factors of your accident.
Keeping Track of Damages and Losses
Keep track of any medical reports, bills, documentation of lost wages or other financial losses, keep names and contact information of witnesses and photos of conditions and write down any information you remember about the weather, time of day, etc. Do this as soon as possible, because memories fade and witnesses can be hard to track down later. Then, be sure to share this information with your Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyer at Jeff Murphy Law.
To succeed in a sidewalk injury case, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the city or property owner. A slip and fall lawyer in Tampa, FL, can talk with you further about what proving negligence entails.
Sidewalk injury lawsuits can be a challenge to win. The city or property owner also have lawyers on their side who have experience defending such claims. It would be best if you didn’t talk to anyone from the city, their law firm or insurance agent without the presence of your attorney.
Our Law Firm Commitment
At our law firm, our team has many years of experience representing clients who have sustained injuries as a result of negligence of the city or a property owner. Call us today for a free consultation with a slip and fall lawyer in Tampa, FL, at Jeff Murphy Law before the situation can escalate, and more losses are accumulated.
Five Steps to Take When Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
Being in a public place and suddenly suffering a slip and fall accident can be embarrassing. While you may be tempted to downplay the incident, the fact is these types of accidents are one of the most common ways in which severe and potentially debilitating personal injuries occur. Our Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyer at Jeff Murphy Law wants to help you protect your rights. The following outlines five critical steps you need to follow.
What to Do When a Slip and Fall Accident Happens
Slip and fall accidents are common and can happen in any public place. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, roughly eight million people seek emergency care for slip and fall injuries each year. These can result in medical conditions you are immediately aware of, such as a broken ankle or a head injury that knocks you unconscious. A slip and fall lawyer you can depend on in Tampa, FL will tell you that in some cases, more subtle injuries may occur. These may include muscle or tendon sprains and strains, which often have symptoms that take days or even weeks to appear.
Do not make any assumptions about the situation or the injuries you may have suffered. To prevent being stuck with potentially enormous out of pocket costs, follow these steps when any slip and fall accident occurs:
- Notify an authority right away. Our Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyer wants you to know that filing an accident report is one of the most important steps you can take after a slip and fall. Have a friend or onlooker find the appropriate person to report your accident to before you even attempt to get back on your feet.
- Make a note of the exact day, time, and place where the accident occurred. Look around you for anything that might have contributed to your slip and fall accident, such as wet or uneven floors, torn carpeting, or excess clutter. Under state law, property owners can be held liable for failing to maintain the premises and for not letting others know that dangerous conditions exist.
- Get the contact information for witnesses at the scene, your Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyer will ask for this information. Often, people will immediately come forward after your accident to see if you are all right. Get a brief description of what they saw, along with their complete name and address. Enlist a friend or other onlooker to help if you are unable to do this yourself.
- Get medical attention immediately. If you are dizzy or having trouble walking, do not hesitate to call an ambulance to the scene. Otherwise, seek treatment at your local hospital emergency room.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions. Seemingly minor injuries can take weeks or even months to heal. Not following your doctor’s instructions could increase the risk of ongoing disabilities and jeopardize your rights in a claim.
Contact Us Today for Help
At Jeff Murphy Law, our Tampa, FL slip and fall lawyers know that slip and fall injuries can have long-ranging impacts on your health and financial security. To ensure you get the compensation you need to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs, reach out and contact our experienced Tampa, FL slip and fall accident lawyer at Jeff Murphy Law to request a consultation today.