Personal Injury Lawyer Tampa, FL
When an accident happens, it is always recommended that you go to a reliable personal injury lawyer who is respected by Tampa, Florida residents. You can’t always avoid an accident, but you can choose how to act if you have suffered an injury because of someone else’s actions. Whether you suffered an injury due to a vehicle accident, dog bite, nursing home negligence, workplace, or construction accident, a top lawyer understands the details and nuances of different personal injury cases. Hiring an attorney can greatly minimize the stress you have to endure when dealing with legal matters that may be difficult to comprehend or navigate on your own. By working with a trusted lawyer, you may earn a considerably higher compensation amount for your damages than if you attempted to pursue compensation by yourself. If you want to learn about your options for filing a personal injury claim, seek legal assistance from a respected lawyer like one from Jeff Murphy Law who will skillfully fight for your rights and make sure you receive your deserved compensation.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Tampa, FL
With 30 years of experience in multiple practice areas, Jeff Murphy Law has developed an excellent track record of serving the Tampa, Florida community. Their legal team will provide you with clear, concise and honest answers to any of your questions or concerns. If there are certain topics or aspects of your case that you would like to learn more about or request further elaboration on, they will take the time to explain the key points. As an experienced and compassionate attorney who has helped many clients over the years, they want to ensure you have the best legal assistance throughout the entire claims process.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Here are the types of personal injury claims an experienced Tampa, Florida personal injury lawyer often handles:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace injury
- Dog bites
- Slip and falls
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Nursing home negligence
- Medical malpractice
What a Lawyer Can Help You With
When something goes wrong that’s out of your control, you can depend on a skilled lawyer to help you. Aside from evaluating your case and informing you of your full legal rights, having a lawyer assist you throughout the claims process has a number of benefits. They can negotiate with insurance companies and the responsible parties to secure a fair amount of compensation. They will make sure that the core elements of your case will be handled correctly, such as evidence collection and filing of essential documents.
Call for Quality Legal Assistance
As a victim who has suffered a personal injury, you should not have to pay for the actions of an at-fault individual or company. They will utilize the best strategies and do the necessary work to collect essential records, statements, and other key pieces of evidence to accurately put together a strong and persuasive case for you. A lawyer will help you understand the various types of damages that you may be entitled to. Contact a trusted and qualified personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL now to schedule a consultation.
Attorney Jeff Murphy Answers the Question: Can I pursue damages if I’m partially at fault?
When should I call a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL?
No 2 injury cases are alike, nevertheless the steps that each plaintiff needs to take in order to recuperate compensation are generally the same. If you have actually been injured and wish to submit an injury lawsuit, here’s a step-by-step guide of what you ought to anticipate:
Employ an injury attorney
It remains in your best interests to immediately get in touch with a lawyer after you have actually been hurt. The lawyer will examine the information of your case and figure out whether he believes you will have the ability to recuperate settlement from the accident. If he thinks you have a genuine claim, he will consent to represent you and work for you on a contingency fee basis, which means he will not be paid unless you recover payment through a settlement or verdict.
Submit an insurance claim
In most personal injury cases, you will be filing a claim versus the at-fault party’s insurance provider instead of the individual himself. For example, if you were hurt in an automobile mishap, the claim would typically protest the other driver’s insurance provider and not the other driver.
After you have actually submitted the claim with your attorney’s assistance, an insurance adjuster will be appointed to your case. The insurance adjuster is responsible for collecting proof related to the case, including proof of injuries and property damage, and then negotiating a settlement with you. It is very important that you let your attorney manage the settlements with the insurance coverage adjuster. Insurers do not have your best interests in mind, however your lawyer does. He will strongly work out on your behalf to ensure that you decline an unjust settlement.
What happens after a slip and fall accident in Florida?
A slip and fall accident can be terrible no matter which state you are in. That said, if you slipped and fell on someone else’s property in the state of Florida, you are going to want to know what the specific laws are. For example, if you are at a place of business (a restaurant, a grocery store, or even if you are visiting a company’s office building) and you slip and fall, you will need to work with your attorney to prove a couple of things. You will need to show:
- The place of business had a dangerous area or an area that was not safe due to neglect
- Because the business did not keep their property safe, there was a threat on that property to you (and other visitors)
- You slipped, fell, and became injured as a result of the danger on the property
- A doctor has documented your injuries and they were serious enough to need medical attention and some kind of treatment plan
- This last one is very important. You could be on someone’s property and slip and fall but not necessarily have evidence to file a personal injury claim. This is because you need to show that an injury occurred. If all that was hurt was your pride, you would not be able to recover damages. Additionally, a lawyer may say you do not have a solid claim if you slipped and fell and got a minor bruise. When you don’t have a traumatic experience or do not have medical bills from your injury, you will not require the same compensation as someone who broke bones or had a head injury.
What is needed to prove that the property owner is responsible?
You will need to show that the property owner knew there was a danger on their property and that they had the appropriate amount of time to fix it. You can also show that even if the property owner did not know about the danger, that the danger had been there for such a long time it should have come to their attention for them to fix.
In Florida, there is something known as comparative negligence when it comes to slip and fall accidents. This means if there was a danger that you could have seen but you were distracted (texting on your phone) and did not see the obvious danger, you may be partially responsible for the accident. However, even under comparative negligence law, you can still recover some amount of compensation.
File a Lawsuit with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Tampa, Florida
Most injury cases can be resolved through settlements between your lawyer and the insurer. An extremely small percentage of cases make it to court. You will still be required to be prepared to file a suit in the event that you are not able to reach a settlement with the insurance coverage company.
Your attorney can start a suit by filing a grievance, which will consist of details on the injuries you have actually sustained, how you sustained them, and the damages you have suffered as a result of your injuries. After the grievance has been submitted, your attorney will need to serve the offender with a copy of the grievance so he understands that you are filing a lawsuit. The defendant will then have an opportunity to respond to the claims that you made within the grievance.
If you have found yourself in an accident and your health and or lifestyle have been hurt because of it, reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL by contacting Jeff Murphy Law.
E-Scooter Accidents on the Rise
The number of accidents involving electric scooters and pedestrians has been steadily increasing as this eco-friendly form of transportation has been gaining popularity. Accidents are particularly prevalent in busy metro areas with a lot of traffic as well as vacation destinations where the number of people on the road can suddenly spike. Unfortunately, riders’ unfamiliarity with scooters and potential dangers on the road can result in a pedestrian sustaining serious injuries. After an accident in which one or more people require urgent medical care, it may be necessary to determine who is at fault in order to seek a legal remedy. Here are some important factors to consider about what causes these types of accidents.
Distraction can be just as serious a problem for e-scooter riders as it is for drivers. Using a phone to talk or text is one of the most common sources of distraction for e-scooter riders. Likewise, listening to music with in-ear headphones are a typical cause of riders being unable to hear what is happening around them. A personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL can help you identify what evidence may be relevant to establishing whether an accident was precipitated by distracted riding.
E-scooters can travel surprisingly fast. When an e-scooter rider does not moderate his or her speed in an area where there are not typically a lot of pedestrians, it may be too late for a rider to react to avert a collision. Riding too fast is just one example of reckless riding that can cause victims to seek out help from a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL at Jeff Murphy Law. Large groups of riders may be particularly prone to accidents because they are paying more attention to one another than the road ahead.
Failing to Follow Traffic Signals
E-scooter riders who are on the road do not always heed traffic signals. You may have noticed that most people who are riding a motorcycle or driving a car are likely to stop at a stop sign but e-scooter riders are somewhat likely to ride right through a stop sign. At four way stops, some riders may be more inclined to slow down rather than come to a complete stop before proceeding. Pedestrians who are stepping off the curb at a crosswalk can easily be caught off guard. A personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL at Jeff Murphy Law may be able to obtain evidence demonstrating whether a rider was following traffic signals when an accident occurred.
Do’s and Don’ts of Personal Injury Law
Do Keep Meticulous Records
Whatever happened to cause your personal injury claim, document, document, and document some more. Write down where you were, what was going on, who was around and could serve as witnesses, when the injury occurred and why you think the injuring event happened. Take down contact information of potential witnesses for your personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL, at Jeff Murphy Law to speak with. Keep detailed notes from all medical appointments and meetings with your attorney.
Do Document the Scene Thoroughly Right After the Incident
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. The right pictures in your case may be worth thousands of dollars. If it’s safe to do so, take pictures of everything. The injury scene, the injuries you sustained and the other party if there was another party involved.
Do Contact and Wait for Police Officers To Investigate the Accident
Leaving the scene of even a minor fender bender could be construed as fleeing the scene of an accident, which is punishable by up to 30 years in prison, 30 years on probation, and a $10,000 fine, depending on the severity of the other party’s injuries or property damage. A personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL, may advise you to stay and wait for the police for as long as it takes.
Do Get Transported by Emergency Personnel for Medical Treatment
If you’re even a little bit concerned about your injuries, ask that an ambulance be dispatched to take you to the emergency room for evaluation. Not only is this sound medical advice, it can also shore up your personal injury claim; the perception that ambulances only transport seriously injured people can help you here.
Don’t Sign Any Kind of Release That Allows Third Parties To Obtain Your Records
In general, don’t sign any kind of release for anything that anybody’s insurance wants you to sign. You could be signing away your rights without even knowing it. Always show any documents to your personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL, at Jeff Murphy Law before signing anything.
Don’t Be Bullied Into Settling Too Early
If you settle before the full extent of your injuries are known, you may be short-changing yourself quite badly. For example, if you think you have a simple back sprain, you may be tempted to settle quickly for a reasonable sum of money. But what happens if you learn a few weeks later that you actually have a couple of herniated discs in your back that require surgery? You can’t go back to the insurance company and file another lawsuit. It’s better to wait to file.
Listen to Attorney Jeff Murphy Discuss the Basics of Negligence Claims:
Common Myths About Personal Injury Claims
If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else, you have the right to file a personal injury claim. If you win your claim, you can receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and other losses. Here are some common myths about personal injury claims that you shouldn’t believe.
- You can file a personal injury claim at any time. You actually don’t have all the time in the world to pursue a personal injury claim. The statute of limitations to bring a personal injury claim in Florida is four years. After that deadline has passed, you are no longer eligible to receive compensation for your losses.
- A personal injury lawyer is expensive. Working with a skilled personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL can improve your chances of a successful outcome with your claim. Unfortunately, however, some accident victims assume that they can’t afford to hire a lawyer. The truth is that most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee. That means you will not owe your lawyer any money upfront. If you win your case, your lawyer will take a percentage of your settlement.
- Personal injury claims always take years to complete. Many people worry that their personal injury case will take multiple years to resolve. While very complex claims may take a long time to resolve, it is not the norm. If you decide to settle your case out of court, your case could be over in less than a year.
- The person who caused your injuries will pay out of pocket. If the person responsible for your injuries is a family member or friend, you may be reluctant to file a claim because you assume they will have to cover your losses out of pocket. However, this likely will not be the case. The person’s insurance company will be responsible for paying your damages.
- You shouldn’t file a claim for minor injuries. Not all accidents result in traumatic brain injuries and other life-threatening injuries. Even if you suffered a minor injury, like a sprained ankle, you should still pursue a personal injury claim. Minor injuries can still result in hefty medical expenses, and you don’t want to pay for them out of your own pocket. Filing a timely claim can help you avoid paying potentially thousands of dollars.
How to Prepare for a Consultation with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been injured because of someone else’s negligence, one of your next steps should be to schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL. This will give you the opportunity to discuss the details about your case and find out if you have a strong claim or not. Here are some tips for preparing for a consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
- Write down details about your case in a notebook. During your initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer, it’s important to mention as many details as possible about your case. However, it’s easy to forget some of these details. To avoid this, write down everything you remember about the accident. No detail is too small. For example, if you were injured in a car accident and noticed that the other driver was using a cellphone before the collision, write that information down. It can be used to prove that the driver was indeed negligent.
- Be prepared to answer questions. A personal injury lawyer will want to know as much information as possible about your case. As such, you should be prepared to answer many questions during your first consultation. While it may be tough to relive the accident, it’s necessary for a successful claim. For example, your lawyer may ask what types of injuries you sustained and if you have talked to any insurance adjusters. He or she may also want to know how the accident has impacted your life thus far.
- Ask your own questions. A personal injury lawyer shouldn’t be the only one asking questions during the consultation. It’s important for you to have questions of your own. Asking the right questions will help you determine if a personal injury lawyer is right for you or not. For instance, you may want to know if the lawyer specializes in personal injury law and how many cases similar to yours he or she has handled in the past. You may also want to ask about the strengths and weaknesses in your case.
- Bring relevant documents. If possible, don’t come to your meeting with a personal injury lawyer empty handed. If you have documents pertaining to your case, such as police reports, photos of the accident scene and medical records, bring them with you. These documents will help your lawyer determine how much compensation you may be entitled to.
Sit Down with Attorney Jeff Murphy to Discuss PIP Coverage in Florida
Sit down with Attorney Jeff Murphy to Discuss Common Options in A Slip and Fall Accident
How Does a Personal Injury Case Arise?
A personal injury case can arise when a person suffers an injury due to someone else’s negligence. For example, if you suffered a slip and fall accident in a grocery store because the owner didn’t clean up a milk spill, you may be able to sue the store for negligence. The responsible party’s insurance company may pay you for your medical bills, lost wages and other damages.
What Is a Statute of Limitations?
The statute of limitations refers to the amount of time you have to bring a lawsuit. In Florida, you have to file a lawsuit within four years of your accident. If you try to pursue a lawsuit after that deadline has passed, you will no longer be eligible for compensation.
Are Witnesses Important in a Personal Injury Case?
Yes, credible witnesses can certainly strengthen a personal injury case. For instance, let’s say that you were in a car accident. Another motorist who was nearby saw the negligent driver texting right before the accident occurred. In this scenario, the other motorist would make a great witness for your case.
Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’re looking to obtain fair compensation for your injury, it’s absolutely in your best interest to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL. Personal injury cases can involve many complexities and insurance companies may try to offer you less than you deserve. A lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to prove your case, negotiate with the insurance company and make sure that you meet deadlines.
Will I Have to Go to Trial?
Many personal injury victims are nervous at the possibility of going to trial. The good news is that most personal injury cases never see a courtroom. There’s a good chance that your case will get settled out of court. However, if the insurance company isn’t willing to offer a fair settlement, it may be necessary to go to trial.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal injury lawyers really can do a lot for their clients. Not only can they provide a wealth of experience to assist their clients but they also can be a steady helping hand throughout the claims process. Navigating a personal injury claim can be difficult. This is why many people turn to professionals for assistance with their claims. Whether the injury received was minor or severe a personal injury lawyer from Jeff Murphy Law can be of great assistance to bring about the results that a client desires.
Navigate the Case
Navigating a personal injury case is one of the most important things a personal injury lawyer can do. They provide a helping hand with their wealth of information and experience in dealing with personal injury claims. Statutes of limitations may be involved with a personal injury claim that will need to be followed. A personal injury lawyer knows about these statutes and can ensure that the right documents are submitted to the right entities in the correct amount of time. These lawyers also have experience and understanding of the different nuances that may arise in a case. This can be particularly helpful especially if someone has never been through a personal injury case before.
Settling With Insurance
Insurance companies can be painful to deal with. They often send low offers to victims of personal injury cases and do their best to end a case as soon as possible. They do this to try and save money for their company and to keep themselves from having to allocate too many resources to fighting a long battle with lawyers. A personal injury lawyer understands how and why the insurance company does this. Legal counsel can successfully and thoughtfully counter the insurance companies offers and fight for their client to receive a fair compensation package for their injury.
Different Types of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries may arise from a number of different sources. A personal injury lawyer can help determine what is and isn’t eligible for a possible claim and lawsuit. Some of the more common ways that someone receives a personal injury is from:
- Construction Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Heavy Machinery Incidents
- Product Defects and Malfunctions
- Car and Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse Injuries
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Premises Liability Incidents
- And more
All of these sources have been known to cause injuries to people. If you believe that you have been injured from one of these sources or from the negligent actions of another person then a lawyer can assist.
Legal Counsel is Available
Legal counsel is available for assistance with personal injury cases. These cases can be complex with a lot of confusing terms and statutes of limitations. It’s much easier to have a seasoned professional assist with this circumstance. Reach out to Jeff Murphy Law today to speak with a personal injury lawyer in Tampa, FL to get you started with your case.