Posted in Uncategorized
If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, it’s in your best interest to speak to a personal injury lawyer, like one from Hall-Justice Law Firm. You may be eligible to receive compensation for your losses. A lawyer can help you bring a timely claim and protect your legal rights.
How to Prevent Car Accidents in the Snow
The winter season is almost here in Indiana, which means cold temperatures, ice and snow. Winter conditions can make it more dangerous to drive on roads and increase the risk of accidents. However, you can still take steps to reduce your risk of a collision.
- Look at the weather forecast ahead of time. If you plan on being on the road for a while, it’s wise to check the weather forecast beforehand. If the weatherman predicts heavy snow, try to stay off the roads if possible. If that isn’t feasible, leave extra early for your destination and plan your route carefully.
- Reduce your speed. If it’s snowing heavily or there is ice on the roads, you may want to drive even slower than the posted speed limits. Driving slowly will prevent your vehicle from skidding all over the road and causing an accident.
- Clear your car of ice and snow. Before you drive off anywhere, take a few minutes to thoroughly remove ice and snow from your vehicle. If these substances are covering part of your windows, it will be more difficult for you to see your surroundings.
- Avoid distractions. In the wintertime, it becomes especially important to drive without distractions. Otherwise, you increase your risk of getting into an accident. Put your smartphone away, don’t change the radio station or eat anything. Your full attention should be on the road ahead.
- Don’t use cruise control. When you are traveling long distances, using cruise control can make your drive more relaxing. However, you should avoid using cruise control in the wintertime. If you do, you won’t be able to react to hazardous situations quickly enough.
- Increase your following distance. When there is snow and ice on the road, it is critical to put even more space between you and the driver in front of you. If you have to make a sudden stop, you will be less likely to rear-end a vehicle.
Schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer today.